The following is a statement release this afternoon from the Douglas County School District:
On Thursday evening, Oct. 3, 2013, Chapel Hill High School was hosting an Advanced Placement Open House. Students were involved with program presentations throughout the building. One group of students, under the supervision of their teachers, was demonstrating the identifying of chemicals by the color of their flame when burning.
During this process a flammable liquid dispensed from the container unexpectedly fast and ignited, involving a 12th grade female student and catching her on fire. One of her teachers, standing nearby, responded quickly by getting the student down on the ground to extinguish the flames. Another teacher ran approximately 30 feet away to get a fire blanket and handed it to a male student to run back to the female student to put over her, helping to further extinguish the flames. 911 was called and an ambulance transported the female victim to the hospital. It has been reported to us that she suffered burns on about 25 percent of her upper body. She remains in the hospital for treatment and reported to us that she is expected to recover fully. At this time, the family and teachers are asking that their privacy be respected and do not wish to make any further comment.