The last two men involved in the beating death of a Douglasville college student were sentenced Monday to life without the possibility of parole
Horace Damon Coleman and Quantez Devonta Mallory were found guilty of malice murder in January for killing Bobby Tillman, 18, in November of 2010.
Coleman and Mallory join Tracen Franklin and Emanuel Boykins who have already been sentenced for their involvements in the murder of Tillman after a high school party.
Coleman and Mallory, wearing orange jumpsuits Monday and chains, stared straight ahead as the judge talked with them sternly, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
He talked of his dismay at how randomly Tillman was chosen and yet no one came to help him and how the four could beat and stomp Tillman to death while “wearing rosary beads and crosses … while wearing the images of God."
“It’s very sad,” said Judge William McClain, according to the AJC.
“I sentence you to life without parole. May God have mercy on your souls."
After a high school party in 2010 became too large, the parents at the home sent everyone home. In the yard, two girls started fighting and Boykins was struck in the ruckus. He said he didn't hit girls, but that he'd "pop" the next male he saw.
Tillman, then a student at Georgia Perimeter College, became the group's victim. He was punched and kicked as he lay on the ground.
Franklin, 20, was given a sentence of life without parole by Douglas County Judge William "Beau" McClain in September of 2012. Franklin will spend the rest of his life in jail as well.
Under an agreement with the state, Boykins pleaded guilty to killing Tillman and was sentenced to life in prison with the opportunity for parole after 30 years.
“This crime touched this community like no other case ever has. It impacted the community and me,” District Attorney David McDade said. “This was the most random, brutal, senseless crime I have ever seen. So this was not just a crime against the family, but the community. Bobby had a bright future, and these thugs took him away from us.”
Related Douglasville Patch stories:
- Franklin Gets Life Without Parole in Bobby Tillman Murder
- Jury Deadlocked in Sentencing of Franklin over Tillman's Murder
- Franklin Convicted in Tillman Murder
- Tracen Franklin Murder Trial Under Way
- City Council Passes Party Resolution
- Murder Defendants Must Plead Guilty or Face Death Penalty
- AJC Reports DA to Seek Death Penalty in Tillman Murder
- AJC Reports Guilty Plea in Tillman Killing
- No Deal for 3 of 4 Tillman Defendants
- Boykins Pleads Guilty to Tillman Murder
- Death Penalty Sought in Tillman Death
- Bobby Tillman Story (A Mothers Sacrifice) Tribute