The wait is over for those whose mouths have been watering as they've noticed the big, new, yellow Waffle House signs going up on Highway 5. A former bank, located at 9464 Highway 5, turned into the newest Douglasville eatery when it opened on Oct. 8.
This location replaces the old unit on Highway 5 that closed in July 2007, according to Kelly Thrasher, a Waffle House representative. The location is relatively the same as most Waffle House restaurants as far as size and the menu is the same that is offered at all locations. This restaurant is a company owned Waffle House, meaning that it is not a franchise-owned location.
The opening of this store created about 45 jobs and they started hiring in mid-August.
The opening marks the fifth Waffle House located in Dougals County and the 16th located nearby.
On Labor Day 1955, Joe Rogers and Tom Forkner opened thier first Waffle House and a Georgia icon was born, according to the website. The first Waffle House restaurant opened its doors for business in Avondale Estates, an Atlanta suburb.
Here are the other four Douglas County locations:
Waffle House 2812 Chapel Hill Rd.
Waffle House 6133 Fairburn Rd.
Waffle House 7100 Concourse Pky.
Waffle House 908 Thornton Rd., Lithia Springs