Video: DEA Slays International Drug Ring with Help From Sheriff's Dept.
The DEA drug case 'Freak Nasty' knocks out a Mexican-based drug cell with a case that started locally and stretched as far as Mexico, Ecuador and Peru. Officers seized $1,144,805 of drug proceeds in Douglasville alone.
What started as a local drug street case, ultimately reached into Mexico, Ecuador and Peru. The investigation began with the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department and as it expanded, the Marietta-Cobb-Smyrna Drug Task Force became and other agencies became involved.
“Today, DEA and our law enforcement partners delivered a major assault against a well-established Mexican cartel group and other major components of their criminal networks," Harry S. Sommers said, Special Agent in Charge of the DEA Atlanta Field Division. "These cartels are the pipeline for many dangerous drugs in our country and are responsible for many of the acts of violence in Mexico today. Because of the dedication and hard work of all law enforcement agencies involved, these criminals will no longer distribute the destructive and deadly substances that wreak havoc in our neighborhoods."
In the spring of 2011, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office approached the Atlanta DEA High Intensity Drug Trafficking (HIDTA) group regarding a local Douglas County Methamphetamine trafficker. It was quickly established that the Atlanta-based poly – Drug Trafficking Organization (DTO) had national and international ties, responsible for the importation and distribution of large amounts of Cocaine and Methamphetamine from Mexico into the Atlanta-metropolitan area.
On Sept. 18, 2012, members of HIDTA seized $1,230,590 in drug proceeds from the investigation of this case after the search of a tractor trailer.
On Nov. 7, 2011, officers performed a traffic stop of two members of this DTO. A search of their vehicle led to the seizure of several thousand dollars and approximately four ounces of Cocaine. A search warrant was obtained for the target’s residence and officers seized $94,590 in U.S. Currency (USC), one weapon, approximately six kilograms of Cocaine, approximately 4 ounces of Methamphetamine and one ounce of Marijuana.
On or about Nov. 27, 2011, officers seized $1,144,805 of drug proceeds in Douglasville.
On Feb. 22, officers learned that the DTO was shipping a large sum of drug proceeds from a stash location in Sandy Springs. Officers were able to observe the delivery. A consent search of a vehicle led to the seizure of $411,560 in drug proceeds.
On Feb. 26, officers learned that the DTO was sending a shipment of 30 kilograms of Cocaine to the Atlanta area. Officers located the delivery vehicle in Tennessee and it was stopped by police in Georgia. A consent search of the vehicle led to the seizure of approximately 30 kilograms of Cocaine.
On May 9, a target in the investigation was stopped in a vehicle and a total of 30 kilograms of Cocaine was seized.
On Aug. 1, Atlanta HIDTA executed three search warrants and multiple arrest warrants in the metro area, as well as in Miami, Florida, and Rome, Georgia, that resulted in the arrest of 18 individuals, 2 seized firearms, 4 pounds of Methamphetamine, 3 seized vehicles, an estimated $100,000 to $130,000 USC, multiple bank accounts with an estimated $90,000 to $120,000 in funds, and the pending forfeiture of two real estate properties, worth an estimated $700,000 to $800,000.
To date, this investigation has resulted in the arrest of 35 individuals and the seizure of approximately 66 kilograms of Cocaine, six pounds of Methamphetamine, one pound of Hashish, three firearms, and more than $3,200,000 in USC and assets. Additional seizures of bank accounts and real property are pending. This investigation has also led to the identification of DTO’s operating on three separate continents, and five additional defendants have been sentenced in connection with the investigation:
To date, the below-listed individuals have been arrested:
- Adan MACEDO-RIOS: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Donovan CASTLEBERRY: Douglas County. Charge: Trafficking in Methamphetamine
- Francisco JULES: DeKalb County. Charge: Trafficking Methamphetamine
- Kevin WOMACK: Haralson County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Methamphetamine
- Gregory STEGALL: Rockmart. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Methamphetamine
- Heijai Orlando WATKINS: Cobb County. Charge: Trafficking Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Sabir Ibrahim JIHAD: Atlanta. Charge: Trafficking Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Julio MORALES-PEREZ: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Nora Carasco-MACIAS: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Loreto MACEDO: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Miguel Angel HERNANDEZ: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Dennis ALVAREZ-BOQUIN: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Fredis Omar SANCHEZ: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Blanca HERNANDEZ: Cobb County. Charge: Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine
- Reniery MORENO: Douglas County. Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine and Methamphetamine