Inmate Dies at Hospital, Swallowing Drugs Before Arrest Suspected Cause
Chasen Chambers died Thursday at Wellstar Douglas Hospital after being transported from the Douglas County jail. Sheriff Phil Miller said in the doctor's opinion he had died from swallowing Methamphetamine.
Chasen Chambers, 22, died Thursday at Wellstar Douglas Hospital after being transported from the Douglas County jail.
"The autopsy is being conducted as we speak," Douglas County Sheriff Phil Miller said moments ago on the phone.
Chambers was arrested in Barnsville, GA., on Wednesday, spending about 12 hours in the jail there until picked up by a Douglas County deputy for probation violations, Miller said. Chambers arrived in Douglas County at about 12:30 p.m. and was booked into his cell at about 4:30 p.m.
"On Thursday morning one of Chambers' cell mates was beating on the door and said he was having a seizure," Miller said. "They immediately called 911."
Chambers was then transported to Wellstar Douglas Hospital and died there Thursday at about 5 p.m.
"In the doctor's opinion he had swallowed Methamphetamine," Miller said. "In doing interviews with the inmates at least one of them said that the victim had said that he had swallowed two eight balls of plastic baggies of Meth before he was arrested. One of them may have burst and sent Meth throughout his system and killed him."
Miller said the GBI crime lab is investigating.
"It appears we did everything we were supposed to do," he said. "The medical response was immediate. He was taken to the hospital within 30 minutes."