Annual Hydrangea Festival Expands
The 6th annual Douglas County Penny McHenry Hydrangea Festival will be bigger in 2013 and will include new features.
The 6th annual Penny McHenry Hydrangea Festival will be bigger in 2013 and will include new features. The Douglas County Tourism and History Commission has announced that the festival will be held Saturday and Sunday, June 1 and 2, on the grounds of the Douglas County Courthouse.
The festival will feature:
- Flower Market, featuring plants and flowers
- Artists’ Market, featuring original art, pottery, sculpture, jewelry, original home décor, garden structures and antiques
- Home and Garden Market (new for 2013), featuring lawn and garden equipment, outdoor furniture, and home and garden professional services
- Farmers’ Market (new for 2013), featuring fresh items from the garden and cupboard
- Garden Tours, featuring Nationally recognized private gardens
- Display Gardens, featuring Nationally recognized garden designers, public gardens, vegetable garden and miniature gardens displayed in wheelbarrows (new for 2013)
- Standard Flower Show, featuring the “Blushing Bride” hydrangea theme flower and 500 horticultural entries in flowers, trees, shrubs, and related categories
- “The Georgia Gardener, Walter Reeves” presentation (new for 2013)
- “Mike Brookshire and Friends” Concert featuring Country Music Artist Vanessa Leigh Bransan (new for 2013)
- pre-event wine tasting (Friday night, new for 2012).
The Standard Flower Show was named “Best Flower Show in Georgia” and “Best Flower Show in the Nation” in its category for 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 (2012 awards have not yet been named).
The annual festival, always held the first weekend in June at the height of the hydrangea growing season, has grown in size, quality and attendance each year. In 2012, visitors came from 50 Georgia cities, 13 States and three foreign countries. The festival is run by volunteers and the flower show by Douglas County’s four garden clubs. The Douglas County community gets involved in decorating for the festival with hydrangea arrangements gracing mailboxes, front doors, homes and businesses.
The festival is named for Atlanta native Penny McHenry, founder of the American Hydrangea Society, who received her first hydrangea as a memorial gift at the loss of Mrs. McHenry’s daughter. Mrs. McHenry had close ties to Douglas County and her family has given permission for the use of her name for the festival. Both the “Penny Mac” and “Mini Penny” hydrangea varieties are named in her honor.
Pre-Event Wine Tasting
Friday, May 31, 6 to 8 p.m., Le Jardin Blanc, 7125 West Strickland Street, $20 per person
Flower Market featuring Plants and Flowers
Artists’ Market featuring Original Art, Pottery, Sculpture, Jewelry, Original Home Décor, Garden Structures, and Antiques
Home and Garden Market featuring Lawn and Garden Equipment, Outdoor Furniture, Home and Garden Professional Services
Saturday, June 1, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, June 2, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Douglas County Courthouse Festival Grounds, Free Admission
Farmers’ Market featuring Fresh Items from the Garden and Cupboard
Saturday, June 1, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Douglas County Courthouse Festival Grounds, Free Admission
Garden Tours featuring Nationally Recognized Private Gardens
Saturday - Sunday, June 1 and 2, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Various Locations, $25 per person, self-guided tours
Display Gardens featuring Nationally Recognized Garden Designers, Public Gardens, Vegetable Garden and Miniature Gardens Displayed in Wheelbarrows
Saturday and Sunday, June 1 and 2, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Various Locations, Free Admission
Standard Flower Show - “Blushing Bride” Hydrangea Theme Flower - featuring 500 Horticultural Entries in Flowers, Trees, Shrubs and Related Categories, and Table Design Competition
Saturday, June 1, 12:30 to 6 p.m.; Sunday, June 2, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Douglas County Courthouse Atrium, Free Admission, musicians performing during show
“The Georgia Gardener, Walter Reeves” Presentation
Saturday, June 1, 2:30 p.m., Citizen’s Hall, Douglas County Courthouse, $10 per person
“Mike Brookshire and Friends” Concert featuring Country Music Artist Vanessa Leigh Bransan
Saturday, June 1, 5 to 8 p.m., Douglas County Courthouse Festival Grounds, Free Admission, Festival Seating