A Sidewalk Sale, Choral Treat Slated
These are the five things you need to know today, May 9.
- Sidewalk Sale at Loving Hands Ministry will be held Wednesday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day, 6768 Spring Street (behind Fire Station No. 10). There will be furniture, household goods, baby and children's items. Proceeds go to those in crisis who are given vouchers to shop for needed household items and clothing.
- Georgia School Nutrition Employee Day will be held Wednesday. It's visit a School Cafeteria Day. This day is an opportunity for parents, students, school staff and our community to thank those who provide healthy school meals to our students each school day. Just check in at the school office, then buy a lunch in the cafeteria and thank the workers for taking care of our kids.
- Dessert Theatre, a Chapel Hill High School Choral Treat will be held on Friday at 7 p.m., at The Church at Chapel Hill. Tickets are $8 per person (not recommended for small children). Reservations are required by May 12, no at-door tickets, limited seating. For more information, call 770-651-6275, or contact Sandra.Chandler@douglas.k12.ga.us.
- Recovery efforts are under way in Spalding County, where two people were killed and 341 homes and businesses were damaged and destroyed during the deadly tornado outbreak on April 27 and 28. Donated goods will be received at 819 Memorial Drive, Griffin, GA. The center will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., everyday. The biggest demand is for nonperishable food. Bottled water, building supplies, baby formula, baby diapers, cribs, strollers, car seats, household items such as coffee makers and pots and pans, blankets, personal hygiene products, leather gloves, tarps, cleaning supplies such as bleach, mops, brooms and buckets, plastic goods (cups and cutlery), paper goods (plates, napkins, towels and toilet tissue), disposable gloves (rubber or latex) and trash bags (all sizes) also are needed. Used clothing is not needed. For more information on providing donated goods or volunteering at the distribution center, contact Distribution Center Manager at 404-851-4917. For additional volunteer opportunities, call 678-533-1443.
- The next meeting for God's Employment Network (GEN), will be at 1 p.m. on Monday, May 16, at First Presbyterian Church of Douglasville. GEN is a support group for anyone who is between jobs or who wants to change jobs. Meetings are free and open to the public. You don't have to be a church member to attend. This is a one-time schedule change. GEN regularly meets on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Mondays of each month at 6:30 p.m. Guests are welcome to bring a sack lunch to the meeting. Bring your resume and business cards, too. There will discussion on how to write effective cover letters.